Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Let the Vacation Fun Begin!

So, I don't know about you, but I look forward to vacation just about all year long.  A chance to get away.  A chance to see new things.  A chance to explore new places.  And maybe a chance to relax - although not always.  As we considered our destination this year, we originally planned on the Grand Canyon, but as the time drew closer, we decided we might be better off to give Emma a few more years and find something else grand to see.  So we decided instead that we would hit Niagara Falls!  We had a few stops along the route that we wanted to hit, but our first one wasn't even on the radar.  However, since my dad is a huge golf lover, my husband thought the home of the world's largest golf tee (in Casey, IL) seemed like something too big to pass up.  See what I did there.  ;-)



As you can see, Casey is home to many big things!  We only stopped long enough to find the World's Largest golf tee, rocking chair, and wind chime, but the town also has the world's largest crochet & knitting needles, along with a list of other large sized items!  It was a welcome stop along the way.

Since we drove, we decided our first official destination would be an overnight stop in Dayton, OH so that Aaron could see the Air Force Museum.  All the years I lived in Ohio and I never even knew it was there.  I won't lie, it was hard being in my home state (only an hour from my hometown) and not call anyone to catch up, but with a tight schedule, it was a sad necessity.


The Air Force Museum did NOT disappoint!  With four full hangars of U.S. Air Force planes, and mannequins setting the scene for almost every one, it was like being taken back in time.

Our first stop was the hangar dedicated to WWII.  Since my grandfather earned a purple heart during the war for saving his crew when their plane crashed, it was important to me that I find the plane he flew in, a B-26.


His position was that of a tail gunner, shooting from the back of the plane.  It was surreal to look at something so immense and think that my grandfather flew in this and saved the lives of the men on board, all while having the job of shooting down the enemy.

With four hangers at the museum, each one has it's own purpose and time period.  Since Ohio is the "Birthplace of Aviation", as well as the birthplace of Orville Wright, it only makes sense that there would be a section dedicated to the early years of flight.


The shear size of these planes is just amazing.  Thinking about the work many of them did to fight for and defend our country in their years in the air was just mind boggling to me.


The magnitude of these planes is crazy hard to comprehend.  I know it is hard to see, but my peeps are in that image above, front and center (Emma is on Jason's shoulders).  Crazy.

And this bad boy - well, he's something.  Stealthy and dark and unlike anything else you would find in the hangars.  Truly unbelievable.  My boys (especially the tall one) were definitely star struck.


When you have small children, and are in a place where climbing inside the cockpit of an Air Force fighter is allowed and encouraged, you - just - MUST.  My son was definitely in awe, but our girl seemed to have her own interest that was equally intense.

Something else that was pretty intense was keeping us all happy.  Finding a way for my boys to explore and gawk, me to photograph, and keep my daughter entertained (and safe) was certainly challenging.  So when a large opening came in one of the hangars, and she begged to spin in her dress, I caved.  Follow that up with some brotherly affection and you just can't pass on it.



And then.  Then came the comedic highlight of the morning: a flight simulator where my son took the simulation to the next level.  While the other boys on the ride faced forward the entire ride, my son was following, reacting to, and attempting to reach out and touch everything - the whole time.  It.  Was.  Awesome.  I still get the biggest smile on my face just looking at the pictures.


The next stop was the Presidential Gallery, where four former Air Force One planes were suited with protective plexi-glass and were open for the public to walk through.  It was a literal walk through history seeing the technological advances through the years.  Within the planes, eight former presidents had conducted business for the free world and it was incredible to try and wrap your mind around.





A few final shots of some fun things on our way out, including that enormous and beautiful quilt my mother would be in awe of.  With so many amazing aviation marvels to see and experience at the museum, it was difficult to pull ourselves away, but we knew we had more great things to get to and explore.


And reach our final destination we did.  Hello Niagara!  Last shot of the night (around midnight) out our hotel balcony door.  What a sight!  And I can't wait to show you more!

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favorite Posts