Friday, September 25, 2015

A Hot Mess

My daughter's hair is a hot mess - and I LOVE it.  It is one of the things I think is so striking about her.  We have a plethora of clips, but after about 5 minutes, they are out, only to be found later in the day amidst toys or blankets.  Sometimes, she pulls it away from her face, but most of the time, she just works diligently through it.  I think it is in her character.  I love the way it falls across her cheek or aside her chin.  I love the way it covers her one eye, while letting her other eye sneak through.  I even love that it is wild on the ends and in the back.  I love how it is HER.


As a photographer, I realize how important this is to me.  It would pain me to have pictures only once a year where someone took her picture and she was forced her to have a clip in her hair.  I would not look back on those pictures with found memories, because honestly, that's not the way I would remember her.  And maybe these pictures don't speak to you like they do to her mother - and that's ok.  Maybe it bothers you that her hair covers her eyes or that you can't see all her features.  Maybe you think it is distracting and stops you from focusing on the images.  And to this I say: you are right.

No matter what your opinion is of these pictures, what matters is that you know it and embrace it.  Who ever takes your photos, whether it is you with a tripod or a stranger that charges $5K an hour, know what you love.  Be confident that your photographer will know you, truly listen to you, and be able to make your images be what you love.  Maybe that will be a lovely sunset in a field - or maybe that will be your child playing with blocks right in your own living room.  I pray, what ever it is, you look back on those photos with wonderful memories of who your family was and the things that spoke loud enough for you to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favorite Posts